I had a lot of fun designing my first kitchen project. There is a level of detail in designing kitchens that is dizzying, but the most critical part is the floor plan. I picture myself using the space, cooking, cleaning, entertaining, and the design flows from there.
This condo is on the third floor of a three family house, about 900 sq. ft. The renovation completely transformed an awkward, dark space into a light-filled, functional room. The budget was tight, since the bulk of it went towards the construction work to vault the ceiling. So I went with only 4 pieces of stock cabinetry, chose good-looking but mid-range appliances, and selected remnants for the marble countertops.
- Cabinetry by KraftMaid – ordered locally at National Lumber, available nationally at Home Depot
- Countertops and farmer sink – Gerrity Stone, Woburn, MA
- Appliances, plumbing fixtures, lighting – Yale Appliance + Lighting, Dorchester, MA. They also service everything they sell.
- Stainless wall shelves – IKEA
- Pot rack – Crate and Barrel (this style is longer available)
- Spice shelves – Container Store (no longer online, similar style available at IKEA)