boys room re-do

The transition from crib to big-kid bed is a major change in the life of a child’s room, even more so when the room is shared with an older sibling. This room belongs to my 2 boys. After 5 years, my vision has finally been realized — we took apart the crib and set up the bunks. Though the room is large enough to fit the 2 beds separately, we wanted to maximize space for play, crafts, and eventually, homework.

shared boys room with bunk beds

Half of the room opposite the bunk beds is a play area. Having a photo of everything put away is crucial. Once they dive into their toys, the floor will be covered in cars, Legos, and magic wands. With a picture, you’ll know that it’s possible to clean up.

Play area in boys' bedroom

This oversized slipcovered chaise has served me well for the past 7 years. When buying furniture for your infant’s room, consider, “Will I be comfortable falling asleep in this?” Because you will.

Boys' room bunk beds and reading nook

I like to group books by color, purely for visual aesthetics. But I’ve found that my kids can easily remember what color to look for when they have a particular book in mind. Training memory at an early age? Perhaps!20120820-191209.jpg

The wall shelf for the top bunk is actually a spice rack from IKEA. Perfect size for a book, a clock, a flashlight, and a cup of water. (that’s Fred the penguin)20120820-191051.jpg

Resources:

Advertisements
Image | This entry was posted in furniture, kids, portfolio, storage and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to boys room re-do

1. Kathy Felgran says:

That room looks so great! Love it! Grammy

2. ccfoote says:

Looks awesome! 2 questions: what’s the square footage? And what do you store in the orange wall hanging thing?

• cheryl r says:

Thanks for stopping by! I think the room is about 12×22. The orange magazine holder is for coloring books, drawings, schoolwork and random papers they generate. When it’s overflowing, we go through and throw stuff out.

3. Caroline Betcher says:

Ok– one more question: how do you store oversized coloring / sticker books? I’m trying in vain to set up a craft space for grace… Everything just ends up on the table.

4. Stacy S. says:

The room looks great, but where do you keep their clothes? I am currently struggling with that with my daughters and their shared bedroom. Space constraints and the fact that I only have time to put away laundry when they are in bed are my two big problems.

Great site, by the way!
    Stacy

• cheryl r says:

Thanks for stopping by, Stacy! I have it a little easier with clothes — I imagine your girls have more, and a wider variety, than my boys do. Clothes are in the closet: tops and bottoms in a 3-drawer dresser and “nice” clothes hanging above. Each kid gets his own drawer, with PJs in the middle drawer. Socks and undies go in a clear hanging shoe organizer. The best solution is a custom closet, like California Closets or Elfa.

Finding time to put their clothes away is a challenge, and if I get them into the dresser at all, I’m happy with that. I just stuff their folded clothes into drawers while they’re getting ready for bed.

Thanks again!
      Cheryl

5. Pingback: Shared Boys Rooms | Shoes Off, Please

share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s